Strafe is an Amazon Skill in Diablo 2. Strafe is part of the Bow and Crossbow Skills Tree and requires level 24 to be unlocked. Skills usually define a character's playstyle and are divided by Class and Skill Tree. Some Skills have synergies, which provide benefits to other skills on the same Skill Tree.
Once a warrior has attained this facility, she can fire a volley of arrows with amazing speed and precision, striking one target after another. Veteran mercenaries often tell a tale of a new recruit who was nearly struck down in battle because he was too distracted when first seeing an Amazon use this ability. Do not doubt his word, as he is probably referring to himself. Just smile and buy him another tankard of ale.
- Magically splits one arrow into several that target multiples nerby enemies.
- Cast Delay: None
- Strafe is the skill of choice for many high level Bowazons, although Multishot is also an option.
- Strafe will automatically aim and fire at targets on the screen up to the Strafe limit. As you get more points in Strafe it will hit more monsters at once.
- Strafe is good at alerting you to new monsters entering the area. If you start firing at a new direction where you previously have not been firing at, you will know a monster is over there in that new direction.
- Try to lead groups of monsters into a tight pack. You will then be able to take advantage of Pierce. This will also keep you from switching back and forth in opposite directions which will save time.
- Strafe isn't as good against a single monster as large groups of monsters. You may quickly run out of Mana when using shots against a single monster. Try switching to another skill if you are fighting single monsters.
- Strafe will sometimes fire a little off screen, but Multishot is much better for firing at monsters off screen.
- Strafe works very well with Cold Damage. Find an item that adds Cold Damage to make all your hits Cold Damage Arrows. This will chill monsters and will also sometimes shatter them preventing monsters from raising the corpses. Freezing Arrow also works well with Strafe especially in Normal and Nightmare mode before Cold Length is significantly reduced. You can also set one mouse button to Freeze Arrow and the other to Strafe (or use Hot Keys). Fire a Freeze Arrow to stop the monsters in their tracks, then follow up with Strafe to shatter them.
- You may wish to assign Strafe to your right mouse button. That way if you need to get away, clicking the left button won't cause you to Strafe rather than move.
- Strafe works with the Paladin's Concentration Aura in the following way: Damage = Bow_Damage*(1 + Dex_bonus + Concentration_bonus + Strafe_bonus).
There is a rather hidden "Minimum shots" effect in Strafe. What this means is that Strafe will fire at least this many shots at one monster, but will fire more up until the Strafe limit if there is more than one monster. This is very useful in making multiple hits vs. one single monster, but the downside is that it puts you in Strafe lock more often.
- The formula is as follows: Min Arrows fired = 2 + slvl / 4 rounded down.
- Which means, at level 4, 3 shots are fired; at level 20, 2 + 20/4 or at least 7 arrows are shot.
- While you are Strafing, your character will be locked in place. You will be unable to move until you are done Strafing. Keep in mind that as you put more points into Strafe and it hits more targets, the time you are locked will be longer. Hardcore players might wish to avoid placing too many points into Strafe. For players on Normal mode this is generally not a problem. Be sure to not fire a Strafe right before trying to run away and you will usually be OK
- Mana Cost: 11
- Attacks up to: 5
- Damage +%: 5
- Strafe Required Level: 24
- Strafe Prerequisites: Magic Arrow, Cold Arrow, Multiple Shot, Guided Arrow
Strafe Receives Synergy From:
- No synergies
Strafe Provides Synergy to:
- No synergies
Important Note: With the release of Patch 2.4 this skill has benefited from some changes:
- Removed the 25% weapon damage reduction from this skill
- Now also gives increased Attack Rating with +30% baseline and +9% per level
The following chart displays the upgrade values for each level of Strafe
Mana Cost: 11
Number of Attacks
Notes and Tips
- With the release of Patch 2.4 this skill has benefited from some changes
- Other Notes & Tips go here
|Amazon Bow and Crossbow Skills in Diablo 2|